Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Entering the Commune

Good afternoon! I know that it's been quite a while since I last wrote, but I do have some good excuses. But, let me get on with my "story".

I had been dating a guy that I went to high school with and realized or rather "admitted to myself" that we were going in two different directions, so we terminated our relationship before I moved into my apartment. Because of the loss of that relationship, I was really lonely. I had been attending Abbott Loop Christian Center since moving to Anchorage, but it was way, way too big for me! I felt lost and totally disconnected--even though I knew a lot of people there.

There was a Christian rock band called "JC & Company" that had a couple of members from ALCC and 2 guys from Gospel Outreach. They practiced at Jerry & Debbie Wilkinson's home...which was a couple of streets over from where I lived. I was friends with Debbie, so often found my way over to her house where I hung out with her and listened to music.

I'll never forget the first time that I met a couple of the "sisters" from GO. Talia and Sydney were dressed in long dresses, black combat boots, long straight/or super curly hair and had come out of the whole hippie/drug culture. They were wonderful people and invited me to one of their Bible studies. I decided to go (which was pretty brave of me) and remember going to a house over in the Spenard area of town. There were a bunch of people sitting around on the floor, one guy playing a rhythm guitar, and a guy with a long dishwater blond beard, dressed in overalls who read chapters out of the book of Ezekiel.

I've often wondered if he had even a clue as to what Ezekiel was all about, but people would say, "Far out" or "Amen" at seemingly appropriate moments. I couldn't concentrate, but kept looking around the room and wondering what in the world I was doing there!

Another time, I went over to a house in Mt. View that was called "the sister's house"--where all the single women lived. Now, that was an experience! I pulled up into the driveway in my little red Vega, wearing black WIDE-leg pants, a white blouse and a little short black and red vest. Once again, I walked into another world...everyone sitting on the floor (no furniture), long dresses, bib overalls, long hair, long beards, and some super spacy people!

I don't have a clue what they talked about, but there were long readings of scripture, playing guitars and singing Psalms, and some pretty "far-out" testimonies! One guy (Danny) was so fried that he could barely speak, but later on, the Lord totally renewed his mind! It was awesome.

That's where I met Travis. He had only been a Christian for about a month and was still a very scary person to look at! Damon, his 3-year old son, was running all over the place...also with long hair and Travis came up to welcome me. I babbled on about my brother being lost in the drug world and beat a hasty retreat. Travis told me later that I looked so scared and very out-of-place!

But, I was so impressed with how much people loved God! They had received an amazing touch of Jesus and that drew me! I was very hungry and thirsty to be a part of something more meaningful than my little apartment or my job at the DA's office. I wanted to be a part of something that made more sense than what I had. So, I asked the leaders if I could move in. They couldn't believe it...why would I want to do something like that?

My parents came to Anchorage in November and we all went over to the "sister's house" to meet all the girls, as well as talk to Scott & Ellie Snedeker (who were in charge). Everyone was really impressed that I had parents that cared enough to come see what I wanted to do. My folks said, "Yes, you can do this, if you want to". Later on, they told me that they were pretty concerned about me moving in with such an odd bunch of people, but it turned out to be the very best thing I could have ever done!

So, I sold my car to my dad--who sold it to my brother, took most of my mini-dresses and personal things home, then moved into the "sister's house." There were about 28 of us living in one 3-bedroom house. Bunk beds had been built into the walls and were stacked 2 and 3 tiers high! We weren't there very long...the leaders rented another house over by the Tarwater House (brother's house) and I was moved over there. There was lots more room!

No comments: