Monday, April 14, 2008

Depression

I went out to dinner with 5 other ladies from our church the other night. We have been friends for a very long time! I only get to touch base with them about once a month, because I live too far away now...but it's always such a treat to be together.

We are in various life journeys...a couple are divorced, a couple of us are married, all of us have kids, some of us have grandkids, a couple lost their moms within the past 6 months....so we always have lots to talk about.

Sherry mentioned that she wasn't sleeping very well and we all thought/said, "Menopause!" However, Phyllis (in a small voice) said, "Depression will do that to you, too."

I don't know why that stuck with me, but last night when I couldn't sleep, I got up and went out to the living room to mull over some things that I had on my mind and Phyllis's words came back to mind. Now, what would I have in my life that would depress me?

A myriad of difficulties came to mind and I realized that I really do have a touch of depression. I'm not motivated to do much of anything in the house. I'm tired all the time. I can fall asleep at the drop of a hat. I've gotten tired of a lot of my possessions! And on and on it goes.

So, with that "revelation" I promptly opened up my Bible to read and took some time to pray. I didn't get any big directive from God, but I felt very comforted! Almost like someone put their arms around me and said, "OK, now you know...so let's work on this together!"

Am I tired this morning? Yep! Do my muscles ache? Yep! But, I did do my exercises this morning before breakfast and put dishes away out of the dishwasher and drainer.

I'm out here at the airport now and thought I'd just write this down. Maybe someone else out there needs to hear this or has some suggestions! Or maybe not...it might just be for me!

By the way, I'm on Book 5 of the "Left Behind" series. I never wanted to read them, but one of my boys passed them on to me, so thought I'd plow into them. I had quite a bit of overload on "End Time Events" years ago, so have not wanted to think about all of that stuff.

However, I'm enjoying the stories---not at all sure that things will play out like the books say, but it does give one food for thought. I can see why our world today would eventually want a one-world government. We are so much more connected through the internet and technology that is advancing so rapidly. When we are constantly hearing hearing about bad things happening around the world...it makes a person wish for peace.

Enough about that. I'm off and running! (well, maybe not running, but putting one foot in front of the other!)

2 comments:

Mrs. Sinta said...

I am with you, Airport Gal, concerning end time events. The parables of Matthew 25 help me more than the events of chapter 24.

I have noticed some of the same signs of depression in my life as you. One
of my friends lost her husband last week at only 42. Another lost her mom on Saturday. My kids are growing up, and I am not needed so much. Besides, they don't always do what I think they should do. These adjustments have an emotional price tag.
Thanks for your encouragement to spend time with the Lord.

Mrs. Sinta said...

Here's a link that you might enjoy:
http://www.injoy.com/newsletters/leadership/content/issues/11_7/default.htm#1