Monday, May 19, 2008

North to Alaska

Good afternoon! Did you ever see that silly movie starring John Wayne, "North to Alaska"? Well, I'm headed in that direction this coming Saturday! It's time for me to go home and help my parents.

My dad is now unable to go into the bathroom without someone helping him. My mom was shaving him this afternoon when I called. So, we have very little time left with him here on this earth!

Emotionally, I'm very up and down. One minute just fine, the next minute not fine at all. But, what a blessing to have the Lord in my life! I know that it's just a step "over Jordan" and he will be home with God! And then, his REAL life begins! How hard it is to say good-bye, though. Even when I know that it won't be long and we'll be there with him!

This is the prettiest time of year to be going to Alaska! I will definitely be blogging while I'm there! My brother has a computer and I will try to send some posts from that faraway place! It's the oddest thing. As soon as you board the plane (either out of Minneapolis or Seattle) something changes. You step into another culture--another kind of people! Landing in Anchorage is the best of all! Mountains on one side, the ocean on the other and planes of every description flying all over the place.

Inside the terminal, there are huge glassed-in displays of a polar bear, a Kodiak brown bear, etc, etc. And everyone wearing jeans--lots of beards and mustaches, long hair, etc. You catch whiffs of people that use wood for heat...there's nothing like the smell of wood smoke!

I'll never forget when a friend of mine, named Bob, came back from a trip to his cabin and brought me a blanket. It smelled like wood smoke and I refused to wash it! (It was clean to start out with...don't get me wrong) But, I just loved the smell! Silly, I know!

By the way, thank you for the prayers!

1 comment:

Mrs. Sinta said...

I will be praying for you, and watching your blog.