Thursday, July 24, 2008

Eternal Purposes

Oh, this is crazy! I keep thinking about posting every day, but because I continue to suffer with perfection/procrastination, I don't do it! Nobody said that I had to do a blog perfectly...it's just a matter of sitting down and communicating! :-)

It's turning into a very interesting summer. First a trip to Alaska and going through a whole gammit of emotions--thankfulness, grief, hope, sadness, joy. Then, having my house turned upside down with grandchildren (which has been wonderful--but also a bit disruptive to my normal schedule), and now a new situation!

By the way, Jessica and boys met up with Gary in Buffalo, NY, and flew to Canada for a couple of days, then back to Chicago for a visit and will return here this coming Monday.

This past Sunday, we borrowed a friends "faster-than-ours airplane" and flew to Minneapolis, where we picked up my 90 yr old mother-in-law, Evelyn, and brought her back for a 2 week stay here with us in Missouri!

She's one of the sweetest ladies I know, but her memory has failed to the point that we talk a lot about things that happened years and years ago. Many of the stories, poems, songs, sayings, etc. get stuck in her mind and are repeated over and over again. I have to help her to the bathroom and remind her of each task that has to be performed. Sometimes, she remembers where to put her hands to lift herself up and sometimes she doesn't.

My sister-in-law, Sandy, who is her caregiver has taken a much, much, much needed vacation to California and I'm hoping that she's thoroughly enjoying the time spent there with family and friends!

Now, what was I talking about? My schedule? HA! Gone again. But, I've also been doing a great deal of thinking about our purpose here on earth and here's what I've come up with (for the moment). That each situation that we find ourselves in--however menial--is an opportunity to practice God's Word! I have a choice. I can be kind, loving, helpful, forgiving, cheerful, serving, or I can choose the opposite.

My purpose here on earth is to glorify God in all I do! Will I always get a pat on the back? An "atta girl"? Nope! But Paul wrote, "Do everything as unto the Lord!" Am I trying to "make points" with God? I don't have to! He loves me unconditionally and with complete abandon!

And so, I've been praying a lot for Evelyn. That she would be ministered to--down deep inside her spirit...whether she remembers or not, whether she knows who I am or not, whether she can follow a short story or not, it doesn't matter! She is loved unconditionally by the Lord and with complete abandon!

And the Lord is using this time for His eternal purposes in all of our lives. Did I mention Travis's role in this? He has to give her 4 insulin shots a day, make other arrangements for time spent at the airport, etc, etc. So, we are being stretched for "God's glory".

What's happening in your life? Same thing, right?

1 comment:

Mrs. Sinta said...

Thank you for sharing your insights with us. We are being stretched as well, but in other ways. You are an encouragement.