Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Brick-A-Brack

Good morning...oh, such good intentions! I'm going to write more often--opps, didn't do it again! (Sigh)

My mother-in-law is in the hospital undergoing surgery on a parathyroid gland, as I write this. We had 2 really amazing days with her...wide awake, talkative, not too terribly ill, but last night after I had put her to bed...that blasted gland gave her another high dose of calcium and she fell back into a muttering, out-of-touch, poor lady! We're hoping for the best--that this removal of said gland will restore her to a much better state of living!

Someone said to me just the other day, that we love new babies! We can't wait to hold them, coo over them, etc., etc. But, our old people--we find it very unnerving and difficult to deal with them. They need just as much holding and cooing, etc. How true that is! I've watched as Travis or his brother hug their mom...she just melts up next to them. When I walk her--I hold one hand and put an arm around her back. She leans into me. As I feed her, I stroke her hand and she sighs with pleasure--even as she's trying desperately to swallow her soup or juice. We, as humans, need touch, don't we?

Such little things we take for granted. A nice hot shower, clean clothes, brushed teeth! I watch her as we perform all these little things and she glows afterwards. She doesn't necessarily remember any of it, but you can see the cares of life wash away--just like the water running down the drain!

She said to me yesterday, "It's the little things that matter! You can sit on a mountaintop, but you can't sit on a pin!" Isn't that great?

So--let me mention a few little things! I finished painting our office! Yahoo! I had the idea of where I wanted the computer--but Travis suggested a different location--in front of the window and it's wonderful! (It was much easier since all the wiring was on that side of the room, too!) We were able to acquire 2 new sofa sleepers over Labor Day weekend and have the office and basement set up--ready for company!

I'm still working on getting a few more things put away in the office...but it's pretty much organized. Just have to hang a few pictures and I'm finished!

Travis and I have started back once again on watching our food intake and I'm really trying to exercise. This time, I write it on the calendar in the bathroom that is hung over the scales! Ha! It really does help! (And when I mow the yard, I count that as my exercise, too!) It's a big yard and I'm pooped when I finish! That should count for something!

As I close--I want to express my gratefulness to God! I couldn't possibly live this life without Him. He opens my eyes to the little things and reminds me how important they really are! Without Him, I would be constantly trying to sit on the pins and not climb the mountains!

No comments: